FAQs for IGCSE Art and Design (0400)

When are the examinations taken?

Information about when the examinations can be taken can be found in the syllabus, which you can download from School Support Hub or our public website.

Examination dates are listed in the exam timetable which you can download from our public website here, or speak to the Examinations Officer at your centre.

What resources are available to support Cambridge syllabuses?

Teaching resources can be found on the School Support Hub page for your syllabus.
For syllabuses, specimen papers, past papers, mark schemes and examiner reports look under the Syllabus Materials tab.

For support materials, including the Coursework Handbook, Guide to Administering Art & Design, Schemes of Work and Example Candidate Responses, look under the Teaching Materials tab.

The Resource List tab directs you to endorsed and suggested resources including textbooks and websites. You can also access these from the Support material section of the subject's page on our public website.

For more details about the support types available, and how to use them for planning, preparing, teaching, assessing and revision, see our guide Cambridge teacher support, which can be downloaded from the School Support Hub homepage.

You can also visit our Discussion Forums, where teachers discuss resources and teaching methods, and you can ask questions and receive a response from our subject expert moderator or from other Cambridge teachers in our Community.

What textbooks are available for my subject?

From the Resource List tab on the School Support Hub page for your syllabus you can search for textbooks for your subject. No particular book is necessary for a course and teachers are advised to choose the textbook that best suits their needs. Many of our syllabuses are supported by a range of different endorsed textbooks to ensure that schools have choice. There is information on the back of endorsed textbooks about which examination series it was first produced for.

Endorsed resources go through a rigorous quality-assurance process to make sure they closely reflect the syllabus and are appropriate for Cambridge schools worldwide. Resources may be ‘endorsed for full syllabus coverage’ or endorsed to cover specific sections, topics or approaches. Look for the specific ‘endorsed for…’ logo on the resource.

What training and professional development is available for my subject?

Cambridge online and face-to-face training courses are designed to support you by providing you with the knowledge and skills required to deliver our syllabuses. These can be booked through the Events and training calendar on our public website.

How can I find out about any changes to the syllabus?

This information can be found Changes to this syllabus section of the syllabus, which can be downloaded from School Support Hub or the subject's page on our public website. Changes are described in detail within this section. Throughout the syllabus, any significant changes are indicated by black vertical lines either side of the text.

If a syllabus update document is listed next to a syllabus this is notification that the syllabus has been updated to reflect a change. The changes that have been made will be clearly indicated in the syllabus update.

What can students take into their exams?

Guidance for use of equipment in examinations, including use of dictionaries and calculators, is provided in the Cambridge Handbook here and on the Additional exams material list. A list of unauthorised materials is also included.

The Guide to Administering Art & Design also has useful information in the invigilation section.
For help or information about administering qualifications it is often useful to speak to the Examinations Officer at your centre.

Where do I find the question papers?

The question papers are available to download from School Support Hub before the start of the test date window and can be distributed to candidates from that date. The dates of the test date window are in the timetable available here.

Does Cambridge send us the coursework topics?

No, coursework topics are decided by the candidate with guidance from the teacher.

Can candidates use any media?

No. There is a list of inappropriate media in the Guide to Administering Art & Design. If you are in any doubt you should contact customer services.

What are supporting studies?

Supporting studies are the body of work that is produced by the candidate in the time between receiving the question paper and taking the examination. This work should show the development of ideas from an observational starting point and evidence of their research and exploration with materials and media.

Does the examination have to be taken in one sitting?

The examinations for Components 1 and 2 are eight hours each. These examinations should be split over two or more consecutive days and the maximum duration of a session should be no more than three hours.

If you do schedule an exam to be taken all on one day then you must ensure that candidates are provided with supervised rest breaks.

What happens with the work overnight?

The examination room must be locked securely overnight and after each timed session. Candidates are not permitted to take any supporting work home with them and must not bring more preparatory work in once the exam has started.

What happens if a candidate finishes before the end of the examination?

If a candidate has finished before the full examination time, they may leave the examination without disturbing the other candidates. However, they will not be allowed back in the examination if they then decide to return later.

Do candidates have to be accompanied to the toilet during the examination?

Art and Design examinations are taken under examination conditions and standard invigilation requirements apply. Arrangements should be in place for supervised rest breaks, please refer to the Cambridge Handbook here for more information.

What guidance is available for teachers in assessing coursework?

The centre marks the coursework component and therefore the teacher must have experience in teaching the subject at this level, preferably with experience of delivering and assessing IGCSE. Teachers should work through the examples and advice in the Coursework Handbook available to download from School Support Hub.

For more information and materials on this syllabus, please visit our School Support Hub here.

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request