Can I use my Cambridge IGCSE English Language results when applying for a Visa?

Cambridge IGCSE First Language English (Syllabus 0500 and 0522) and Cambridge IGCSE English as a Second Language (Syllabus 0510 and 0511) are no longer included on the UK Visa and Immigration's (UKVI) approved list of Secure English Language Tests (SELT) for immigration purposes. UKVI continued to accept Cambridge IGCSE English Language qualifications as approved English language tests until 6 April 2014. However, after this date, the qualifications are no longer accepted as approved tests by the UKVI.

A SELT is an English language test that UKVI will accept as evidence of a visa applicant’s English language proficiency. It shows competence in all four language skills – speaking, listening, reading and writing – according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for languages.

Cambridge chose to withdraw the Cambridge IGCSE First Language English and Cambridge IGCSE English as a Second Language qualifications from the approved SELT list because UKVI introduced new mandatory security requirements from April 2014 for schools offering qualifications on the UKVI’s list of approved English language tests. Not all Cambridge schools would have been able to implement these requirements, such as voice recognition and handwriting sampling. This means we would have needed to introduce a different code of practice for Cambridge schools who wished to remain UKVI-compliant. We felt this would have led to an unmanageable level of complexity for schools and a confusing situation for students and universities.

Please be aware that UK universities have the right to set their own English language entry requirements with regard to Tier 4 visas. This means they can choose their own method of assessing a student's English language competence as long as the student is applying to follow a full-time course at undergraduate degree level or above: Annex 7 Addendum, pages 78 and 79 of the Tier 4 Policy Guidance, version 09/14. Students applying to study in the UK at degree level or above must check the English language requirements of their selected universities prior to making any applications.

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request